Apple Music Lossless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Music Lossless

Apple Music now offers lossless and high resolution tracks: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/...ossless-audio/

Does anyone happen to know if the Hub, say via Airplay, can play back the new lossless content?

Not a lot waterproof info avail. But probably needs AirPlay2 to transport lossless

Comment

After having turned on lossless in the settings app on my iPhone, on the second attempt, the lossless indicator stayed on when I started airplay to the hub. I suspect it’s working, lossless 16/44. From what I have read, AirPlay 2 won’t do more than 16/48, but still an improvement over AAC 256.

Comment

• apetrovic
        apetrovic commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi pjk25 in article that you sent, there is statement "For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.". Also, footnote is saying "Due to the large file sizes and bandwidth needed for Lossless and Hi-Res Lossless Audio, subscribers will need to opt in to the experience. Hi-Res Lossless also requires external equipment, such as a USB digital-to-analog converter (DAC)."

I wonder if you were considering configuration that would look something like Mac (MacBook Pro/ AppleTV....) -> USB/Optical -> Hub to achieve rates higher than 16/48 that are available over AirPlay 2? Of course if that is what you want...

Interestingly, just came to my attention John Darko video published today https://youtu.be/oVl6Nyf7YLI could help maybe
        Last edited by apetrovic; 06-09-2021, 02:03 AM.

• DenverRick
        DenverRick commented
        Editing a comment
        You will learn a lot by reading the comments per John Darko's video, like Apple Lossless is not the same as Apple Lossless Hi-Res. Some equipment can handle Lossless but not Lossless Hi-Res. I would think Apple will try to fix some of this with firmware or new equipment.

• pjk25
        pjk25 commented
        Editing a comment
        Having read some of the comments, and not surprisingly, there are wired options. I don't have a CCK (Camera Connection Kit) dongle to try, but I would think that connecting to the hub via usb would work. Based on the comments I would even expect high-res to work.

Ideally, we would have a wireless option, but for now that seems to eliminate hi-res. I guess we will see.

If I connect my iMac via USB to the Platin Hub, would I be able to stream Apple Music in 24/96?

Comment

The WiSA wireless audio specification allows for up to eight (8) channels of uncompressed 24-bit, 96KHz audio
        https://www.wisaassociation.org/about-wisa/why-wisa/

On my 4K Apple TV (Settings - Apps - Music - Audio Quality) there is now a setting for Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/48 kHz)
        Not sure what the HDMI connection to the hub is allowing

Then there is what the human ear can actually discern?
        Audiophile or Audio-Fooled? How Good Are Your Ears? (Rick Beato)
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEjI5PZa78

Comment

I picked up an Apple "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" to try connecting directly to the Stereo Hub from my iPhone. In short, it doesn't work right.

What I find is that connecting to the hub drops the volume control to zero in the Music app. If I drag the volume up, it drops right back to zero on release. If a track is playing, garbled music is played while dragging, but only while dragging. The Music app does label the selected output as "Stereo Hub".

I also noticed that the volume on the Hub is locked to max when the USB input is selected. This matches the manual of the Hub.

I'm using an iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 14.6.

Comment

• Ivo
            Ivo commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you tried unlocking the USB volume by pressing the mute button on the remote for a few seconds? Maybe it will work correctly after that.

Now I went ahead and also bought a FiiO K3. Now I have iPhone 12 -> Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter -> K3 -> Optical Cable -> Stereo Hub. Everything works as it should!

The K3's indicators for high res activate as expected. The iPhone disables the volume altogether when it detects the K3. Volume knob on the K3 has no volume effect. Volume on the Stereo Hub works as expected.

I must say at this point that to be frank, I find the Stereo Hub disappointing. The K3 was recognized properly by the iPhone, in both it's USB 1.1 and USB 2 modes. It's a $99 device.
          The Stereo Hub, to me, isn't visually appealing (I even prefer the K3's looks). The Hub lacks an App or any indicators of what signal it's receiving. When I play from the Tidal app via chrome cast, it often disconnects halfway through a song. I have to force quit Tidal for it to re-link (AirPlay to the Hub is stable, honestly doesn't sound as good). The A700s are fantastic and I don't regret my purchase, I'm just glad I got a bundle price on the Hub. It doesn't feel like a $700 device to me. I'll be giving the Buchardt pre-amp a serious look when it arrives.

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
            Daniel Lindholdt commented
            Editing a comment
            Hopefully, some of the stability issues you have with Tidal will have improved after the update yesterday.

@pjk25: So you stream Apple Lossless either via Airplay or wired via your K3? And the wired connection is significantly better? Can you compare it to other streaming services, e.g. Deezer HiFi, also in wired or wireless connection?

Comment

• pjk25
            pjk25 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been using Tidal since I bought the A700 a few months ago. I don't I ever bothered to try Tidal via Airplay since my research indicated that Chromecast supported higher resolutions. Once Apple Lossless was released I got curious - I already have an Apple One subscription and especially after watching https://youtu.be/pRjsu9-Vznc I decided I'd be happy not to pay for Tidal as well. I would say that between Tidal + Chromecast vs Apple Music + Airplay 2, I prefer the Tidal option. iPhone wired through the K3 and Stereo Hub sounds better than wireless via Airplay 2 to the Stereo Hub. I don't know that I can actually hear a difference between wired Hi Res Apple Music with the K3 and Tidal via Chromecast.

So, I will probably use the wired option until there is a high res wireless Apple Music option. And if the Stereo Hub gets an update so I can skip the K3, I'll use that. But, what I'm hoping is that the upcoming Buchardt pre-amp can stream High Res Apple Lossless directly. That would be excellent.
            Last edited by pjk25; 06-20-2021, 01:59 PM. Reason: Added additional thoughts as paragraph 2.
        Working...
        X