Music Servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PKAWA View Post

What are the actual benefits you will have with Roon over any other server? I am using the pc as my 'server' and it's connected via usb to a high end dac and once I get them the A700's. Before that however I had the Elac ARF-51's so I did spend some time with this setup. I do need my pc connected via usb since otherwise I won't have sound via my speakers using anything other than Spotify connect.
    I'm seriously wondering what the big deal with Roon is that it's so hyped in the audiophile world.
    For files located on my pc I'm using musicbee which has been nothing but stellar sound quality so far but maybe I'm missing something.
    Compared to something like Musicbee, which is superb freeware for PC people, Roon offers more in-depth UX as well as music discovery options. Further, if configured in a server that can support all the DSP power, multi-room sound quality benefits. I'm not going to dwell on the RAAT tech that is actually pretty great. Personally, I gave up on freeware and JRiver a few years ago and have not looked back. While I'm able to coax great sound quality out of any of these setups, setting up a dedicated, fanless, NUC-based Roon Rock server has been "end game" for me. Sure, the Platin Hub isn't Roon Ready (and probably never will be), but simple RPI devices like the Allo DigiOne are probably better anyway. I assume you will try it for free when you get your A700's...

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
      Daniel Lindholdt commented
      Editing a comment
      The Platin hub will be Roon Ready for certain. I know we have said "soon" about this many times, but soon, "Soon" is now

• PKAWA
      PKAWA commented
      Editing a comment
      I've actually changed my mind and bought a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c's that will be Roon ready very soon.
      Yes I'll be trying it, but as far as I can see it's just a 'hub' that lets you select all the music sources from the one application.
      Not sure if that covers it, prob going to need to watch a youtube vid about it.
      Thanks for the input.

• Jefferson
      Jefferson commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes we only see what we want to see.

I have more questions regarding setting up a trial with Roon. If I download the free Roon app for my Android tablet and the Roon Core for my Windows PC and buy a Chromecast device, it sounds like I should be able to test Roon on trial to make sure it works and I like the interface. I see, however, that Chromecast Audio is no longer available. I do not have a TV so am not sure which, if any, Chromecast devices will work. Also, assuming there is one, what is the setup? Where does the Platin Hub fit into the picture?

Thanks, as always, for all the good comments and advice I get on this forum.

Comment

• Jefferson
      Jefferson commented
      Editing a comment
      The Platin hub IS your Chromecast device. It is set up in Google Home. There should be tutorials and directions available through buchart. Set up is about 30 second task.
Working...
X