Amps for S400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps for S400

I have just ordered the S400 and I cant wait to get my hands on them!

Just wondering what amplifiers are people using with them? I have marantz NR1200, but I think it might not be good enough to drive the S400 and that they could deserve a higher end amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	251036AC-77CD-4C56-BCD9-C18866D35520.jpeg
Views:	1162
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	268 Hi,
    the tech specs of your receiver indicate it’s a 8Ohm (75 Watts) device, probably not too happy with demanding 4Ohm loads as the S400 are. Maybe time for an upgrade.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish - another AV setup, or 2 channel only? Budget? There are too many classic AB amps or more modern class-D around.

In any case chances are that the Marantz might well struggle with the Buchardts.

Comment

• kelvotan
      kelvotan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I also think its time for upgrade . I might hook up to my TV via optical link but not looking for whole home theatre set up, so just 2 channel only. Yeah there are so many amps out there, was looking at Hegel H95, seems to have very good review.

In fact, there is one more candidate

https://buchardtaudio.com/collection...ated-amplifier

Comment

Hegel are fine Amps for the buchardt, but in my opinion the Hegel 95 comes a bit short in power…..we are also in for a new amp, Made a shortlist and came up with: Hegel, , Gato audio amp, kinki studio amp, or the buchardt. All in a Max of 2500 euro, all with lots of power. What a great hobby we have😀 oh by the way, we play with the S300

Comment

• kelvotan
        kelvotan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooh, which Gato Audio amp are you looking at? Do update your review with the S300

I'm using Naim XS3 and everything sounds great. The S400s and XS3 seem to play to each others strengths. The S400s replaced ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures in this system. The ProAcs were moved to a bedroom XS2 system.

Comment

A little different experience for me. I tried Musical Fidelity M2SI but found the clipping warning coming on when I got beyond a certain level. Selected Denafrips Hestia and Hyperion preamp and power amp. Rated at 80w (actual= 89W before clipping). More importantly it is linear 4 ohm 150w (estimated 160w before clipping). Massive power capacitance means lots of grunt in low and mid-range. Balanced design with XLR connectors, has additional RCA for inputs and also pre-amp out RCA for sub. I'm sure a lot of other amps will do the job but I can say I am impressed with this Denafrips/S400 combo. They work together very sysnergistically.

Comment

Hi, anyone using Gato-Audio DIA205s with your S400? How do find the pairing? thanks

Comment

• bernd
            bernd commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice and certainly delivering the power and control needed. A beauty on top of that. Though a bit of a price mismatch. For that reason you may struggle to find someone with that combination.

I drive a pair of S400 Signature with a NAD M33 that has class D Eigentakt on board. 380 W into 4 Ohms. It is a very good combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudolf_Appel View Post
            I drive a pair of S400 Signature with a NAD M33 that has class D Eigentakt on board. 380 W into 4 Ohms. It is a very good combination.
            Some people have found the M33 a bit digital sounding and a bit edgy compared to AB amplifiers. Do you find the balance at high volume to be fatiguing at all?

Comment

• Rudolf_Appel
              Rudolf_Appel commented
              Editing a comment
              Who says that?

I do not have such experience at all.

It is the never ending song class AB fans are singing about superb engineered class D amplifiers. I’d simply ignore that.
              Last edited by Rudolf_Appel; 09-14-2021, 10:36 PM.

Can recommend Atoll amps, check out the review from A British Audiophile on the Atoll IN200 Signature on YouTube.

Used a Atoll In80 SE on my S300 mk2's with fantastic result.
            Last edited by rhaudio; 09-29-2021, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I've been looking for a nice small 2 speaker solution for my new (small) apartment and I just placed a pre-order on the S400 mk2 while they were still on offer. From the first reviews it sounds like the mk2 are a bit easier to drive than the mk1. I wonder if a Rega Brio will be sufficient to drive them well as I read at least the mk1 likes a lot of power? It produces 73W at 4ohm. The room I will be listening them will be about 3.4m x 5.8m but listening distance will be about 2.5m. Really hoping these speakers will be the answer to my lack of space, just looking to make sure I have the right amp pairing for them.

Comment

I have the Naim Uniti Atom which Naim rates at 40W per channel to 8 ohms. I don't know if anyone else on here has experience running the S400s on this amp. My own experience is that the Atom is able to drive the speakers pretty well and the sound quality is first class but the amp does need turning up a fair amount to get the S400s really going. I am actually about to embark on installing the S400 cross-over upgrade kit, so it will be interesting to see if that makes a noticeable difference.

Comment

Hello all,

First time here. I have my S400s hooked up to a Copland CSA 28 hybrid amp with 60 Watts output power, and the match is wonderful. I have more than enough power/volume available and a non-fatiguing sound. The low volume articulation could be better, but for 90% of my listening the match is great.

Comment

This whole business of amps and power gets me all confused. I have heard that the S400 is power hungry and loves a lot of wattage. But I have read something on the Buchardt website (I think) that said that the S400 sounded very good with a lower powered (18 watts I think) amp. A US designer of beautiful tube (valve) amps said that their 20 or 30 watt amps would be very fine with the S400. But Sean on Zero Fidelity said that a 50-60 W amps would be be the threshold. Years ago I heard what was considered a fairly hard to drive Dynaudio speaker (85 db) sing beautifully with a 30 W Copland integrated. As I said above, the S 400 does very well with my 60W Copland, but I am thinking of a home demo with a 20 W Raven Blackhawk integrated as I am itching for an all tube power source. This whole thing of sensitivity and impedance and amplifiers has me somewhat baffled.

Anyone using a S 400 with tubes (valves, sorry)? If so how much power?

Thanks,

Ram

Comment

Anyone who has the Buchardt I150 amp + S400 can comment on this post?

Comment

• bernd
                        bernd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On overall power, sounding digital or in comparison to 20W tube amps?

Other than my initial post pitching the 150 in May it is November and still the amp hasn’t left beta phase.

So the sound (remember beta) is certainly nice. But I would postpone any purchase until this is finally a completed product.
                    Working...
                    X