S400 Mk II and S400 Signature Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S400 Mk II and S400 Signature Edition

Which is better between S400 Mk II and S400 Signature Edition? It seems that the frequency divider design of S400 Mk II is more complex, while the frequency divider material of S400 Signature Edition is more advanced. What is the difference between the two models in terms of listening sense? Can S400 buy a kit to upgrade to S400 Signature Edition?

Can S400 buy a kit to upgrade to S400 Signature Edition?
    Yes. Did the upgrade. Was worth it

Comment

• Jim
      Jim commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi bernd

Could you describe in more detail the difference you noticed after fitting the S400 SE upgrade kit to your S400 speakers?

Thanks Jim

• Rudolf_Appel
      Rudolf_Appel commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for letting us know. I waw already attracted to the S400 concept, in fact the entire Buchardt concept. The Signatures Edition are a lot of money and it is convenient to know that the signature filter makes a difference.

Die S400 sind sowieso tolle Lautsprecher Bin von meinen treuen Canton Vento 807 DC auf S400 umgestiegen. Das Moderne Dänische Design steht sehr gut in unserem kleinen Wohnzimmer. Die Canton waren vom sound her sehr detailliert aber scharfkantig. Sie reichen etwas tiefer in den Bassbereich, nüchtern viel, denn der passive Rückstrahler der S400 bekommt den Bass irgendwie sauberer hin als die Bassreflex Tröte der Vento’s.

Originally posted by bernd View Post

Yes. Did the upgrade. Was worth it

Have you upgraded the kit? Can you tell me if it has improved greatly? Where did you buy the kit and how much?

Comment

• bernd
      bernd commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought the kit (2 crossovers) from Buchardt. Unfortunately they charged me €100 more than the actual asking price of €650 . See the link by Daniel in the following post. Compared to the original S400 the upgraded is more detailed and more accurate to me. But your impression may be different, I cannot promise what your perception will be.
      As the board is larger than the one of the standard crossover it’s a bit tricky but manageable in the end.

Originally posted by toumingren View Post
    Which is better between S400 Mk II and S400 Signature Edition? It seems that the frequency divider design of S400 Mk II is more complex, while the frequency divider material of S400 Signature Edition is more advanced. What is the difference between the two models in terms of listening sense? Can S400 buy a kit to upgrade to S400 Signature Edition?
    Hi

Which is better, is really hard to say, as they both have their strengths. The SE sets itself apart from being a limited edition, unique veneer, made in Denmark and lifetime warranty.
    You are right about the crossover, the MKII is a bit more complex, using good components with great components in selected areas. Whereas the SE crossover is a bit more simple in its design, but uses top quality components all the way through.
    You can find the upgrade kit here:
    https://buchardtaudio.com/collection...er-upgrade-kit

Describing the sound difference is extremely hard, as it's so much about personal preference.
    But the SE is a little more laid back in the soundstage, has really tight upper bass and midrange and is a bit warmer sounding. The MKII has a bigger and deeper soundstage, plays a little deeper, and has a bit more focus/meat on the midrange.

Not sure if that is any help for you, but as said, It's hard to put in words, also because often we mean different things even though we use the same words to describe sound.
    Sincerely,
    Daniel Lindholdt

Comment

I have been able to compare the S400 Signature Edition to the A500 in Buchardt’s listening room in Virklund. Unfortunately the MKII was not there yet. To us the S400 SE sounded more balanced. Maybe the MKII has more detail and goes further down in bass reproduction. That is what my Canton Vento 807DC delivered.

With the Canton all those details and sparkles do jump at you, at fest that sounds fantastic but after a while listening fatigue to kicks in. I think the tweeter of the MKII is integrated better with the midrange/bass driver and as such the MKII are not a bad deal at all, certainly not for that money.

The S400 SE’s are powered by the NAD M33 in my system, a amp that doesn’t hide anything. It includes Purify Eigentakt Class D licensed power amps. I think the S400 SE are a wonderful match. We enjoy them so far and they are not even burned in.

Forgot to mention other important things:
      • local content in manufacturing ie. Made in Denmark does matter to me
      • the Grey Oak with black Buchardt tripos stands just look fantastic in our living room, and like with food, if it doesn’t look good … consequently if it does look good …
      • Regarding cross the cross over:
      • less components means less phase shifting problems
      • air coil inductors cause less radical filters with les phase shifting
      • the caps are made to last, the can dry out and change impedance of the network and consequently the sound signature
      • Life time warranty
      • last but not least Mads’s autogram on the warranty card give the “signature series” a comprehensive meaning 😉
      In all fairness, the passion of the people working at Buchardt is inspiring and Mads really took the time to explain the systems and gave great background info. Being treated that well makes a difference.
      Last edited by Rudolf_Appel; 09-11-2021, 11:33 AM.

Comment

The Limited Edition currently for sale has a huge weight difference from the standard or even MK II S400s. In USA terms going from 18l lbs to 41 lbs is a lot and would be somewhat inconvenient in my case. I know the weight is in the electronic guts and maybe the cabinet, but wow that's a lot.

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
          Daniel Lindholdt commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not really sure where you get these weights from, but the S400, S400 SE and S400 MKII all weight around the same, ~40 lbs for a set with all the packaging

Thanks Daniel, I didn't see the word "set" with the LTD. edition before. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X