No announcement yet.

New S400 MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How will these new speakers work with the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120? Any thoughts? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bulacawa View Post
      How will these new speakers work with the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120? Any thoughts? Thanks
      Great, I hope, as that's the exact pairing I have planned!

120W per channel at 4ohms, and all the reviews I've read of the 1120 have been very positive 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue21 View Post
        I have just pre ordered the Buchardt S400 mk ii in walnut... with a long wait on delivery.
        The website says delivery 'early 2020' - any better idea when this might be ? It could be any time up to June !
        Ooops sorry - I meant 'early 2022'

I still don't know where 1999 went to

Comment

• Rudolf_Appel
          Rudolf_Appel commented
          Editing a comment
          Time flies when you are having fun. Those S400 in Walnut look gorgeous, worthwhile the wait.

How are you protecting the tweeter below 2000 Hz?

Comment

Originally posted by Chromatischism View Post
          How are you protecting the tweeter below 2000 Hz?
          Hi
          Is that a question for us? (Buchardt)
          If yes, then I'm not sure what you mean?
          Sincerely,
          Daniel Lindholdt

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Lindholdt View Post

Hi
            Is that a question for us? (Buchardt)
            If yes, then I'm not sure what you mean?
            Yeah, I thought previously the 2670 Hz crossover point was chosen to protect the tweeter. 1800 Hz is therefore pretty gutsy.

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
              Daniel Lindholdt commented
              Editing a comment
              We learned a few things over time, and our new engineer has a few tricks up his sleeve Can't get into details on how to do it, but we still provide the 10-year warranty, so no need to worry about it

Originally posted by Chromatischism View Post

Yeah, I thought previously the 2670 Hz crossover point was chosen to protect the tweeter. 1800 Hz is therefore pretty gutsy.
            I was watching the Z review on You Tube, and he'd blown one of the drivers so it could be that this is a weak point in durability

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
              Editing a comment
              Nope, that one was down to a mounting error from one of the very first speaker sets made.

I am happy with the original S400s I have, and it took a long time for them to fully break in, so I am wondering if it makes sense go "upgrade"? I would love to hear the differences myself, but not having an easy way to do that; and then if I love them, there's the necessity of selling the originals and then breaking in the MK IIs are not happy inducements to change. Sean at Zero Fidelity made a good point about this (I think he was the one who made this analogy) if you have an older Porsche 911 and love it, you don't need to buy a new one just because it is better in some respects, unless time and money are no objects. I think I am going to stand pat for the now, and enjoy the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Rameaufan View Post
              I am happy with the original S400s I have, and it took a long time for them to fully break in, so I am wondering if it makes sense go "upgrade"? I would love to hear the differences myself, but not having an easy way to do that; and then if I love them, there's the necessity of selling the originals and then breaking in the MK IIs are not happy inducements to change. Sean at Zero Fidelity made a good point about this (I think he was the one who made this analogy) if you have an older Porsche 911 and love it, you don't need to buy a new one just because it is better in some respects, unless time and money are no objects. I think I am going to stand pat for the now, and enjoy the music.
              Having both here I can say you will be fine. The originals are easier to listen to and more forgiving of bad recordings and loud volume levels, so they do have their strong points.

Comment

• Rameaufan
                Rameaufan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, Chromatischism, I appreciate your well-considered opinion.

• Nells
                Nells commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Rameaufan,
                if you love the original S400 just keep them with no doubt. It ist your "taste" and there is no need to change then ;-)
                I had the S400 for almost 7 month and really liked them a lot. Sometimes i just missed the clarity of vocals. The sound improved a bit with the room correction of my I150. But nevertheless they were good but not perfect for my room and ears...
                So I ordered the MK II and got those delivered in Octobre. And I was very pleased: Even without using room correction with the I150 or with my old AVR (Arcam) I love them more from the beginning. They fit better to my room and my ears than the original, so i kept the new ones.
                But In appearance I still like the originals better. The MK II look good, too, but are pretty long and look therefor bigger on the buchardt stands.

Originally posted by BigBlue21 View Post
              I have just pre ordered the Buchardt S400 mk ii in walnut... with a long wait on delivery.
              The website says delivery 'early 2020' - any better idea when this might be ? It could be any time up to June !
              I bet that walnut is going to look fabulous! Lucky guy.

Comment

I feel like the s400 sounds much better with a powerful 100 watts behind it or more, but it does lack the audiophile showroom sound of a KEF for example. I am worried the new ones just put up the treble and satisfy the showroom types. My question is does the mk 2 need power as much, or can I get away with a lower power and tubes?

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
                  Editing a comment
                  The MKII is a complete redesign from the bottom up, made by another sound engineer, than the one who designed the original S400. So it is most definitely not a case of "just" some treble added
                  The MKII is easier on the amplifier as well, so it does not require the same amount of power as the original one.
              Working...
              X