New S400 MkII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New S400 MkII

Very intrigued by the new S400 Mk II. I am an original S400 purchaser, and I thoroughly enjoy them. They are truely great speakers for the price, but ultimately I have found some limitations in them, primarily being:
    • A resonance around 500hz that stands out with certain notes
    • Lack of soundstage transparency and openness, in that I feel like I can locate the speaker too easily when sounds are coming from the left/right of the soundstage
    • A lack of a bit of detail in the mids and highs
    • lack of depth in the soundstage
    • a touch of hardness in the bass (maybe the metal driver?)
    It would seem that the new version is trying to address some of these issues.

One of the things that is not detailed much on the product page is the changes to the cabinet. Are there any more details on this? Has anything changed other than the dimensions? What about the white/black finish paint - is it the same as the original?

Also do you plan to post any measurements of the new version?

Thanks
    Last edited by rlow; 08-11-2021, 07:34 PM.

Is an A500 mk 2 planned?

Comment

• Mads Buchardt
      Mads Buchardt commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at this point, but we have a Signature edition planned. It will have purifi woofers

It would be possible to buy upgrade kits for the standard A500 as well, should you already own them.

• Slatapie
      Slatapie commented
      Editing a comment
      Very intrigued by the signature! What will the benefits be of the upgrade kit? Love my A500s, but always fun exploring new updates.

I have the same question as rlow regarding the cabinet.

Comment

Hi there,
      I believe I read somewhere that the new cabinet benefits from bracing (the mk1 doesn't have any) and that the additional cabinet depth is there to make up for it. But I could be wrong. Regarding the other points you made, I personally think the mk1 does rather good in these things. The mk2 should, however, adress quite precisely these points.

Kind regards

Comment

The S400 MKII does address all this yes, and even more. It's a speakers that does have a different sound character, it's a more pleasing tone, yet actually more refined which typically is two things that do not match

The soundstage is placed a little further back, and have an insanely 3d presence, with tons of depth and air around the instruments in the mix. This is to me the biggest change, but you also get a much better tweeter performance, along with midrange and bass. So it sounds like this MKII would really be addressing what you miss on the standard S400.

As for the cabinet, it does tilt slightly more to make it beam a hair more upwards as not many had high enough stands for the S400. The MDF is also changed and is slightly more dens as It's treated to withstand high humidity changes. And due to the larger cabinet size, it now also needed a bracing internally for increased stiffness.

The MKII do actually dig a bit deeper in the bass as well, although not by much, but it actually sounds like more compared to what you would think when just looking at measurement data.

Regards Mads Buchardt.
        CEO

Comment

Originally posted by Kenchai1 View Post
          Is an A500 mk 2 planned?
          Wow now that is some big news. So i guess we can assume the Mk2 upgrade kit will be available for A700 as well?
          Last edited by sieg9198; 08-12-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mads Buchardt View Post
            The S400 MKII does address all this yes, and even more. It's a speakers that does have a different sound character, it's a more pleasing tone, yet actually more refined which typically is two things that do not match

The soundstage is placed a little further back, and have an insanely 3d presence, with tons of depth and air around the instruments in the mix. This is to me the biggest change, but you also get a much better tweeter performance, along with midrange and bass. So it sounds like this MKII would really be addressing what you miss on the standard S400.

As for the cabinet, it does tilt slightly more to make it beam a hair more upwards as not many had high enough stands for the S400. The MDF is also changed and is slightly more dens as It's treated to withstand high humidity changes. And due to the larger cabinet size, it now also needed a bracing internally for increased stiffness.

The MKII do actually dig a bit deeper in the bass as well, although not by much, but it actually sounds like more compared to what you would think when just looking at measurement data.
            Thank you Mads this is very helpful. Regarding the white/black finish, is it the same as the original S400? Also did you plan to post measurements of the MkII?

Comment

im also interested in upgrade from my beloved s400.
              is see that the mk2 version digs a little deeper in bass, but does it also produces the same amount of bass? i'm more than happy with the bass response of the original s400 and i wonder if the mk2 will behaving the same in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by bened View Post
                im also interested in upgrade from my beloved s400.
                is see that the mk2 version digs a little deeper in bass, but does it also produces the same amount of bass? i'm more than happy with the bass response of the original s400 and i wonder if the mk2 will behaving the same in that area?
                Hi bened

Yes, the amount of bass is pretty much the same between the original S400 and the MKII, the MKII just plays a little deeper
                Sincerely,
                Daniel Lindholdt

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Lindholdt View Post

Hi bened

Yes, the amount of bass is pretty much the same between the original S400 and the MKII, the MKII just plays a little deeper
                  Hello Daniel,

What would you say is the reason for the woofer change?

Was it merely to improve the crossover? Could that have been achieved with the ceramic driver?

Is the distortion profile any different?

Any other reason?

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Chromatischism; 08-20-2021, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• steveo
                    steveo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same question. Is the new woofer the same one in the a500/a700?

• Daniel Lindholdt
                    Daniel Lindholdt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Simply put: We like the sound of the paper woofer better, and we have had great results with it on the A500/700. The driver wasn't available when we created the original S400, which is why we did not use it in the first place
                    So, to Steveo: Yes it is.

• Chromatischism
                    Chromatischism commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, that is sort of what I was narrowing it down to

These look very interesting. Please can you advise

1. Is the sound richer then the Mk 1 ? (ie more bass warmth, especially in the midrange) or thinner/ about the same ?
                  2. Is the treble brighter ?

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
                    Editing a comment
                    Sure

1. Yes, I would say it is richer. It's plays deeper and has more focus on the midrange. The midrange is more "meaty" and vocals has more presence and warmth.
                    2. Yes and no. If you look at the measurements, it is pretty much identical to the original S400. But when you listen to the speaker, the treble is more resolved, has greater detail, and is a lot more engaging. It's not fatiguing to listen to, but it has more presence than with the original S400.

It's hard to put words on these things, also because often, we mean different things, but use the same words.
                    As a representative of Buchardt I also don't want to over do the "praising" of our new speaker, as it might sound a bit hollow, coming from someone living of selling the speakers. But hopefully reviews will soon help out with a more objective opinion.
                    But in all honesty, I really do like the new MKII. That might not be the case for everyone, but to me personally, it's quite a big step up.

• Chromatischism
                    Chromatischism commented
                    Editing a comment
                    1. Sounds like another way of saying it's less neutral. Not sure how I feel about this as I love the neutrality of the S400; will have to hear them to say any more.
                    2. Sounds like the fill-in of the crossover region due to handing over to the tweeter much lower, which will put more 2000-2500 Hz energy into the room due to wider dispersion there and should resolve the critics' complaints. Of course I am hypothesizing but this is the primary expected benefit from the crossover change.

Thanks for taking the time to get into the details.

The Mk 1's were heavily reviewed
                  I understand the Mk ii's are shipping from next month. Any idea when the first reviews may appear anyone ?

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
                    Editing a comment
                    Shouldn't be too long, a few weeks, maybe sooner for the first one

Daniel, based solely on sound quality if you had to pick between the S400 MKII with a very good amp like a Hegel H190 or H390 compared to the A500 which would you pick?

Comment

• Daniel Lindholdt
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a really hard question to answer, you will end up with superb sound in both cases
                    If you have no preference to the feature sets offered by the two options, then my personal choice would have to go to the MKII right now. It's super even though, and I say right now, as there might be one of the mastertunings that I prefer over the MKII in some situations, and new mastertunings might be added down the line.
                    But right now, I've just fallen completely in love with the soundstage of the MKII. The A500 has a great sound stage as well, but to me, the MKII is just a tad better. And the sound stage is what I look for the most when listening, as it is what really engages me in the listening experience. Yes, all the other things have to work as well, but they already do with both solutions.
                    So for pure sound, I would go with the MKII, even though I love the convenience of the A500 as a complete system.

based solely on sound quality if you had to pick between the S400 MKII with a very good amp like a Hegel H190 or H390 compared to the A500 which would you pick?
                  My wife and I have listened to the S400 Signature and A500 side by side. We preferred the sound of the S400 Signature. We might have been biased as we recently bought a NAD M33 integrated amplifier. There are off course different master tunings for the A500 that change the character of the A500 but of the 2 master tunings we have heard the S400 Signature sounded most balanced in everything.

I did doubt a lot to buy them, but now they are at home hooked up to our NAD M33 and I do not regret the purchase, we bought the Buchardt stands with them. They are not only a pleasure for the ears, but for the eyes as well. But that is no different to the A500 off course. Compared to the floor standing speakers they replaced, I learned that the smaller speakers are a much better fit for our small living room.

Comment

I have just pre ordered the Buchardt S400 mk ii in walnut... with a long wait on delivery.
                    The website says delivery 'early 2020' - any better idea when this might be ? It could be any time up to June !

Comment

• Rudolf_Appel
                      Rudolf_Appel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Anno 2021, it’s a bit late for early 2020?!
                  Working...
                  X